Wednesday, May 6, 2009

PB&J

We go through some peanut butter in this house and I started looking into which one was going to be the best for our family! Hadley's pediatrician is a huge fan of PB because of all the protein. She even tells me to stir it into oatmeal for breakfast!

David and I had always used JIF Extra Crunchy
...here are the ingredients:
MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2 PERCENT OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN), FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES AND SALT.
It has 130 mg of sodium and 3g of sugar per serving

The first alternative we tried was Smuckers All Natural (1g sugar/120mg sodium). The downsider we discovered was that it had to be refrigerated...leading to cold hard peanut butter that makes your bread tear as you spread it!

So, next we tried Smuckers All Natural with Honey
--the advantage being that you do not have to refrigerate thanks to the honey! It has 4mg sugar and 30mg sodium per serving and tastes even better than the Smuckers without honey. The ingredients: PEANUTS, HONEY, SALT- can't beat that! I highly recommend it!!

1 comment:

Jared and Kim said...

I'm going to try this!!! :) I've been eating a LOT of PB & J lately and I love Smuckers brand!! Thanks for sharing! :)